Laundry Make over… Do you need one??
Take quiz below:
- 1. Does laundry and the thought of doing your laundry cross your mind more than once a day?
- 2. Does the task of getting your laundry done make you feel tired?
- 3. Does your laundry basket often runneth over?
- 4. Do you ever have ill feelings about your partner when looking at the abundance of laundry to be done in your home?
If you have answered yes to more of these questions than not, you may just need a LAUNDRY MAKEOVER! Say what…yes you heard me. Why underestimate that beast of a task we call laundry. We organize everything else! I recently took my last look at my arch enemy laundry hamper (single unit/with no dividers) and decided not only did it runneth over, but so did my patience to ever unpack, sort and approach that beast of a pile. I knew life could be better and pinterest made it clear that it could be as well, with all those moms and their sorting and laundry rooms fit for a laundry goddess! Well I am no laundry goddess but I was ready to “pimp my laundry basket” not in like a real pimp way, but in a make it awesome kind of way!
I began my search, reviewed laundry sorters for best reviews, read moms blogs about laundry, and came up with a whole new approach.
1. Step one: GET A GRIP. Its laundry it is not a super human and should not dictate and create strong feelings for me. Weird & Duhhh….It should not make me resent others, it should not make me avoid certain rooms and it should not cause me to have laundry room envy. Okay that was my mental health CHECK)
2. Step Two: Determine if I should have a laundry day designated or no? So I tried this out, did not like having one laundry day, it felt too consuming. So I opted for the one full load a day idea. Complete ONE full load. That means throw it in wash on way to gym. Throw it in dryer before getting Viv up for breakfast. Then fold it during nap time.
3. Step Three: Identify a system: Sorting – There are so many laundry sorters on the market but I think I found the BEST one and of all places at Wal-Mart! http://www.walmart.com/ip/Canopy-3-Bin-Sorter/15627362
4. Step Four: Train family. If you have a three sort, like we do. We did towels, whites, and darks. If you get a four sort. It could be Dry cleaning, Towels, Whites, Darks OR Extra soiled (We have a hanging bag for this in mudroom for horseback riding clothes/muddy play/etc.), Towels, Whites, Darks. Anyway, however you sort it to accommodate your perfect home, TRAIN all in home. Allow a week for mistakes and then after that, whoever miss-sorts gets to do the load that day! =)